March 14th Minutes & Wailoa Show Update Available HERE!
Photos are HERE!
Latest & Greatest BIUG News
Chris Stewart’s Ukulele Picnic Report
BIUG member Mike Perdue and his wife Lynne put together a nice display for the Big Island Ukulele Guild during the ‘Ukulele Picnic Hawai’i Sunday, February 8 at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows.
A number of ukulele dealers and builders were also at the event, including guild members Sam Rosen of Holualoa Ukulele Gallery and Bill MacDonald of Kona Breeze Ukuleles, plus Brian and Derek Kiernan of Kiernan’s Music, and representatives for Kanile’a Ukuleles, LeLe Ukuleles and Music Exchange.
Top Left: 'Ukulele Picnic producer Kazuyuki Sekiguchi visits the Big Island Ukulele Guild table watched over by Lynne Perdue. Photo by Mike Perdue
Top Right: Ukulele enthusiasts enjoy the grounds of the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel during the event. Photo by Chris Stewart
Bottom Left: Kunia Galdeira (L), grandson of famed slack key guitarist Gabby Pahinui and a member of Ekolu Mea Nui, talks with David Perkins of Kona Breeze Ukuleles at the BIUG table. BIUG member Bill MacDonald owns Kona Breeze Ukuleles in Sisters, Oregon. Photo by Mike Perdue
Bottom Right: Tyler Gilman (L) of Premium Ukuleles and Shawn Yacavone of Ukulele Friend, both based in O’ahu, visit with BIUG member Bill MacDonald, owner of Kona Breeze Ukuleles in Sisters, Oregon. Photo by Chris Stewart
1-27-15 Chris found an excellent article on the history of the ukulele. Very interesting read
- 12-16-14 Please check out the photos from the Waimea show!
- 10-30-14 Notes from Wailoa 2014
- 9-30-14 A nice little read about one person’s efforts to create an Ukulele Museum in Arizona…From Chris
- 9-11-14 Very inspirational message from Kimo Hussey about Patience
- 8-29-14 Tom Parse recently sent me a video of his recently created kerning jig. He created it using parts from around the shop. Nice! Maybe this could be a workshop item?
Check out the video of the jig in action.
- 5-24-14 Tom Parse has made a selection of finely crafted ukuleles available for sale. Please check them out!
- 4-26-14 Our first builders’ workshop on Saturday was a success as seven members enjoyed a convivial atmosphere in Tom Russell’s Kona side shop while building mini-thickness sanders. An afternoon of cutting plywood, some machine work and final assembly produced a very useful attachment to our bench sanders - perfect for thinning smaller work pieces.
- 4-18-14 Nice video on the making of a soprano ukulele by Peter Hurney is now available on our Luthier’s Page.
- 3-14-14 A new internet service enables time-syncronized jamming over the net! Check it out: JamKazam
- 2-12-14 Another interesting video, this one on bracing. Are your chisels this sharp?